January 17, 2020: Dell Medical School has fast become one of the new leaders in the healthcare space. Since its inauguration in 2016, it has earned its place among the highest rung of forward-thinking medical schools and continues to serve its growing community with cutting edge technology and patient-focussed strategies in a truly remarkable way. Today we are joined by Aaron Miri, CIO at DMS to talk about his role and how he views the intersecting challenges of strategy, architecture and innovation. He gives us a direct line to the thoughts of a CIO and his insights will be invaluable to any healthcare practitioner. We discuss his approach to a multitude of scenarios and dynamics and his attitude to the central role of a CIO, staying abreast of current and new trends in the space. Aaron shares a bunch of his go-to strategies that make the complex and evolving landscape a little more manageable as well as expanding on the University of Texas’ foundational philosophy and how it permeates all that they do. For a fascinating and expertly articulated exploration of healthcare today, make sure to listen in!
Key Points From This Episode:
- The model at the Dell Medical School and Aaron’s role at the new center.
- Aaron’s most effective strategy within a healthcare system involving trust and communication.
- Annual listening tours and staying abreast of the evolving landscape.
- Tapping a network of peers for support on new developments and questions.
- What the board at Dell Medical School looks for in their CIO.
- Attracting and retaining talent in Austin; talent, mission and the promise of something new.
- How the UT motto about changing the world is visible in all aspects of the institution.
- Partnering with leaders in the tech field to make the progress that serves everyone.
- Aaron’s thoughts on budgeting and the allocation for building, running, and innovation.
- The potential for UT to commercialize their innovative systems.
- Dell Medical School system architecture and the where the responsibility for it lies.
- Aaron and the Medical Center’s view of the newest emerging technologies.
- Upgrading and migrating with a future-facing view and preparing for the next steps.
- The areas of digital transformation in which Aaron sees the most movement.
- Aaron’s decisions around money expenditure for innovation.
- The innovative startup that Aaron would spearhead if he could.