May 20, 2020: On today’s episode of the Field Report, our guest is Cris Ross, Chief Information Officer at Mayo Clinic. In this episode, we sit down with Cris to explore what emerging from the pandemic might look like for Health IT. Cris explains how Mayo has experienced the pandemic thus far, including treatment and research, as well as the transformations their delivery of care is undergoing due to COVID-19, and how these changes will integrate into post-pandemic work. We talk about working from home, the future of remote work, priorities for Health IT both pre- and post-pandemic, and the areas in which Cris believes Mayo has been making important progress. Cris also shares Mayo’s contingency plans as both employees and eventually patients return, as well as the ways in which he believes we will come out the other side of this pandemic stronger, and better prepared.
Key Points From This Episode:
- How Mayo Clinic has experienced the pandemic thus far, including treatment and research.
- Transformation of care delivery during COVID, how it will integrate into post-pandemic work.
- Cris’ experience of work from home and what he anticipates the future of remote work to be.
- Priorities for Health IT today and what Cris thinks priorities will be post-pandemic.
- How current circumstances have affected the priorities of Mayo’s pre-pandemic projects.
- Some areas that Mayo has been making progress in regarding more powerful cures.
- How Mayo is preparing their health system to start receiving visitors again.
- Mayo’s contingency plans for a second surge of COVID infections.
- Cris explains the contact tracing solution that was developed by Dr. Laura Breeher at Mayo.
- Less perfectionism, ethical data use, and collaboration are the keys to beating COVID-19.