Field Report with Randy McCleese, Interim CIO at Twin Lakes Regional Medical Center.
Episode 229: Show Notes.
Community hospitals face a particular set of challenges and have had to find innovative ways to respond to the COVID crisis without the same resources of larger institutions. Today’s guest, Randy McCleese, interim CIO at Twin Lakes Regional Medical Center in Leitchfield, Kentucky, is here to share with us how they have dealt with the crisis. In this episode, Randy gives us insights into the COVID situation in Kentucky and how the Governor has dealt with it. The proactive approach has meant that they are faring better than their neighboring states. Randy also sheds light on the coordination efforts Twin Lakes are undertaking with other hospitals. They have arranged to take non-COVID patients from a neighboring town while Twin Lakes’ patients will go to the larger hospital an hour away. We also discuss the surprising response to telehealth and the quick mobilization efforts around it, the remote work challenges that come with working in a community hospital, and the changes Randy hopes will stay post-crisis. It’s always great to hear diverse experiences, so be sure to tune in today!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Learn about Twin Lakes, where they’re located, and their services as a community hospital.
- Find out what the COVID situation is like in the region and the state of Kentucky generally.
- A look at the coordination efforts of Twin Lakes as a community hospital.
- How Twin Lakes is balancing remote work with those who have to come into the office.
- Some of the measures that Twin Health has put in place to deal with the crisis.
- The most surprising responses that Randy has seen during the pandemic.
- How the older generation is responding to telehealth and some challenges.
- Randy’s advice for other rural hospitals and what he wishes they’d done differently.
“We’re making changes and working. It’s kind of making changes as we go because we don’t always know what we’re going to need to do.” — Randy McCleese [0:07:33]
“One of the things that has surprised me is the ability of the patients to be able to do these virtual visits.” — Randy McCleese [0:10:40]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: